GOODBYE WINE

The Year I stopped dialling 99wine

Two years
ago today, I sat in my bed, with my head pounding, my mouth
dry, and my heart full of shame and guilt. Two years ago today, was the last time I had a drink of anything alcoholic. When I awoke that morning, I realised something needed to change, and that change was between me and wine. 

For a while, one of us had to go. And given that wine wasn’t going to look after two kids, two dogs and my OH, it seemed she was the one who had to leave. I missed her at first, I really did. 
See, I used to call her a lot 
  • Good day, let’s call her 
  • Bad day, let’s call her 
  • Sad day, let’s call her 
  • Fun day, let’s call her 
 No matter when I called her, she always answered. She loved being there for me. But as the saying goes “if nothing changes, nothing changes” and so this journey began. And at the beginning, the cravings were high, I wasn’t sleeping very well, I had bad headaches and such vivid dreams and I felt like crap. My friends were still drinking and at the time I felt like I was really missing out. But I’d signed up to a challenge and I was committed to try my best. 

 Anyway, as the days went by, and I’d got a few weekends under my belt, things started to get easier and more importantly life started to get so much better. I had more time. I felt fresh in a morning. I wanted to embark on doing new things. I realised that drinking and the aftereffects were no longer appealing to me. 

This didn’t happen overnight, I’d say it was around day 100, when I really saw a shift, and slowly but surely, the good stuff started to show up. And here I am today… 2 years Alcohol Free (AF)

Do I skip around all day every day, jumping for joy, of course not, I have my life struggles just like everyone else, but the tough times are easier to deal with AF, and the good times are far more enjoyable and memorable! 

 If you're out there thinking of taking a break, what can do you? 

  • Immerse yourself in Quit Lit –there are loads of books out there and its vital to understand what’s going on in the early days.
Some good ones I have read but not limited to are: 
This Naked Mind- Annie Grace
Alcohol Explained William Porter 
The Sober Diaries- Clare Pooley 
Quit Like a Woman - Holly Whitaker 
Kick the Drink Easily- Jason Vale 

Also: 
  • Find a support group (Lots on social media)–they will help you through the good and the bad days - If you want a really good try Over the Influence
  • Find “yourself” and new activities to replace the drinking sessions and feelings 
  • Get in some AF alternatives for when the cravings kick in. This is not cheating! I can recommend Dry Drinker who do a great range wines, beers and spirits, all without the hangover price tag. 
Corona Cero - is my new absolute favourite beer
Wines can be hit and miss - but Nozecco (sparking rose), McGuigans AF Sauvignon Blanc, and Win-e Tempranillo have served me well.

Don’t compare your journey to anyone else’s. This is your challenge, your time, enjoy!

Lastly remember, you are the greatest project you will ever work on. You are worth it!

Please note all the recommendations on here are just sources I have used for my own personal journey. I have no affiliation with any of them.

Comments

Popular Posts